Doing it all the hard way...

Friday, April 19, 2013

Ceramic Bearings vs. Loose Balls

Smoooooooth !

A couple years ago I purchased some Ceramic cartridge bearings like the one pictured above for my DT Swiss hubs on my road bike. I noticed post-Ronde, that they seemed a little rough. The replacements are cheap enough and for less than $20 I had new ones (for my front wheel) in my mailbox.

I pulled the old ones and put in the new ones. The wheel spins smooth as silk. That ceramic stuff sure seems nice.

The only wheel that spins smoother is the one on my rain bike. Those hubs are Campagnolo Chorus hubs with loose ball bearings that have been serviced no more than twice in the last fourteen years. I ride those all year long in the rain and snow. They are smooth and the wheel spins and spins and spins.

Whenever Velonews does a test on some smooth new ceramic wonder part such as crank sets, Ol' Lennard Zinn throws in one of his old Campy setups that is composed of steel and grease and that one wins hands down.

We sure do believe all of that marketing hype don't we?

I'm just sayin'

 

No comments: