Doing it all the hard way...

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Blah, blah, blah 100th day of 2013

The wheels at the locks go round and round...
General updates..

Training.  
I'm at 2,400 kilometers so far in 2013.  I continue to flirt with the fine line between being a well trained cyclist and being a quivering mass of tired old man.  One day I'm dreaming of eating a box of Oreo's and sleeping all day and the next day I'm strutting around looking for trouble.  I have been working on the intensity and taking the easy days easy. Yesterday I rode home into a headwind and still felt strong.  


Evo
I had a nice birthday. I'm excited to be a prime number again. Kind of weird as I age.  A bizarre mix of cherished memories, broken hearts, successes and shattered dreams.  I am so glad to have Hottie in my life. She makes our home a safe place for me to open my heart.  What more could you want?  Well, if you're a greedy, self-centered Neanderthal, you still want more. I am delighted Hottie is my wife because she gives me so much more.

Racing
I am learning. Like so many things, if experience came in a can you could buy it.  Reading about bike racing for a dozen years can't hurt, but it doesn't count for squat until you pin on a number and mix it up again and again and again.  Also to my amazement, all of my Cyclocross racing does not count for much aside from preparing you to suffer.  As Greg Lemond said about training and racing, It never gets easier, you just go faster."  In a race you are going to hurt. I know it sounds kind of stupid, but it is okay. 



I am planning on racing the Ronde van Palouse which is an awesome event in eastern Washington. Hottie and Tux are joining me and I'm actually really excited. I don't expect a high finish, but I am looking forward to enjoying a challenging event. 
The race is a mix of paved road and gravel that is modeled after the European cobbled classics. It forces one to seriously consider tires, rims, the bike you choose, and an assortment of other options that you don't have to think about for a typical road event. The course has hills that make you cry, wind that makes you feel weak and rough gravel roads that make you dirty and begs you to slow down.  

I have a few pieces of gear I am testing out so look for an avalanche of reviews starting soon.

No comments: