Doing it all the hard way...

Saturday, January 30, 2010

2010 The winter that wasn’t


Here is a shot of Paolo riding along the waters of Puget Sound. It took us about thirty tries before the pole lined up with his head, but I think the wait was worth it !

Humming along I tap my shifters to add a gear. My legs are spinning and I feel rock solid on my saddle. My speedometer indicates I am flying, but it feels easy. I recall George Hincapie’s favorite line when the pedaling is easy, “is my chain still on?” It feels that nice today.

The ground is dry and I left my fenders are in the back of the car. I’m riding on my lunch hour through rolling hills down to the waters of the Puget Sound. The residents of this neighborhood are at work and the streets are quiet and only a few cars pass by. We have been able to squeeze in more than our share of lunch hour rides, and every time we make it down to the water, and we stay dry, I feel like we are playing hooky.

We had some cold days in Mid December and since then it has been pre-spring around these parts. The ski resorts have had some nervous days, but our heating bills are way down. We still have February to get through, and I’ve seen some cold days in February so I know we’re not out of the woods. I do enjoy leaving my monster gloves and wool beanie in the box at home when I go riding.

Last winter was an endless series of 34 degree team rides. I have set my sights on a ride in California in May that will drive my springtime training and allow me to dream of riding with the sun on my back.

No comments: