Doing it all the hard way...

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Break on through to the other side


I just wrapped up my last, and biggest, training block.  Two weekends ago the plan was three long rides in three days.  That weekend I had just planned on going for hours in the saddle, but I ended up throwing in some bonus intensity as well.   I also got in two ninety minute plus climbs over the weekend, so my endurance was up to snuff.  Time constraints forced some compromise, but by the time I went to bed Sunday night I had three quality workouts in three days and I was prepared to be shattered.   To my delight, when I awoke Monday, I felt surprisingly good.  In fact; I felt ready for more.  I found more.
That is as far as one could go on a bike on that day.....
During the next work week, after a day of stairs and another of running it was time for a mid-week ride.  With my big three day training weekend ahead I didn’t want to go too hard, but I wanted to throw in some surges just to flex the legs.  On the first sustained climb I just gradually dialed up my effort.  I felt like I was generating power through all 360 degrees of my pedal stroke.  It also felt like I had a lot more if I wanted it.  I was reminded of how I felt after our trip to the Alps in 2012.  Instead of putting out power one leg at a time (think push, push, push, push-  while rocking side to side) I was just dialing it up (imagine an increasing hum).   Nice, very nice.
Then, this past weekend was our three day team training camp.   We had sun, clouds, rain, fire, gravel, smoke and snow by the time it was over.  I also had more than twelve hours of riding and 3,500 meters of climbing.  I had enough data to learn a few things about my body and hydration.  Facts and data do tell a story.  I wasn’t the fastest guy by any means, but once you find yourself on AARP’s mailing list, you learn to grade everything on a curve.
I used to teach my kids about the Law of Accumulation.  That is, everything counts.  When my kids were little we were leveling dirt in preparation for planting a lawn. I unearthed a big rock and it was too big to move in one piece.  I took a maul and started pounding on the rock.  Bang, bang, bang. To the naked eye nothing was happening.  Bang, bang, bang.  Still nothing.  Bang, bang, bang…..Crack!  The rock split into three pieces.  These pieces could be removed with a lever.  It wasn’t the last swing that broke the rock, but the accumulation of the twenty before it.  
 Burning up the road...
My training this year has had a lot of banging.  Hours in the saddle that left me trashed, hours on the trainer that felt like purgatory.  I felt like I was putting in time but not getting results. Life’s distractions put my head in a place where the lack of progress seemed par for the course.  Fitness seemed like a distant hope.  I suppose that deep down I did trust the process, but in my conscience head, the suffering was like therapy for the crap I was dealing with.  I was almost approaching the workouts like they were a form of penance.
Oh good, it's raining here too......
Trying to make your legs hurt in order to forget the frustrations in your head is a sad place to be.  Life, death and dying, birthdays, surgeries, family and oh, the joys of a simple life.  
Don't try this at home!
Imagine my surprise then when I finished the second weekend feeling strong.  Monday came and I felt like I could go again.  My legs were sore, but they felt like they had some strength.  Not quite twitchy, ready-to-go, but not wobbly either.   Tuesday dawned and the soreness was gone after only one rest day. 
 Now we're cookin'
I am, however, sticking with the training program and looking forward to a well-earned recovery week of easy spins and light running.  There is a bit more volume in a couple weeks, then just sharpening and some final recovery so I can be fresh when I ride in the land of croissants.

No comments: