Doing it all the hard way...

Friday, May 25, 2018

The silence speaks loudly to me


In preparation for our biking odyssey I have gone to bed and awoken earlier than usual. 

Two months ago I got up at this crazy hour to ride for two hours indoors on my rollers before work.  Then it was dark outside and cold downstairs. Now we are less than a month from the solstice and there is a bit of light starting about five am. 

Now the bike sits idle. The beanie I would wear to take the chill out of the first fifteen minute sits atop the towel that I drape over the handlebars to keep the sweat from making my bike a slippery mess after I get warmed up. 

When the days got longer I was happy to trade the miserable mornings on the rollers for the warmth of an after work ride on the roads. 

As I wait for the day to start so I can get my ass over to France I cannot help but reflect on the training time I have invested to get here. 

My bike sits there like a monument reminding me of those hours spent sweating, waiting, dreaming of this trip. 

Let’s get this show on the road. 

No comments: