Doing it all the hard way...

Monday, April 16, 2018

Eating Vegetables


Oh good,  It's still raining....
Early in the week the weekend looked rainy.  As the week went on the forecast just got wetter and wetter.  Friday at work I was trying to get myself psyched up for a solo slog on Saturday.  I even contemplated sending a team email along the lines of, “Saturday sucks, time is running out, who wants to suffer with me?” 

El Jefe’s strong shoulders have borne the mantel of leadership and so it was that he sent out the invitation to join in the Reindeer games on Saturday.  Five fools gathered in the pouring rain for a three and a half hour ride. 

Our expressions told the story, “Yeah it’s ugly. Let’s get this over with.”    I joined El Jefe’ The Judge, Turntable, and Sombrero under the grey Seattle skies.  We climbed, we pacelined, we shed layers, we put them back on, we ate, we drank and we paid our dues.
In years past I can recall April training rides in the Snohomish valley under bright blue skies.  Sun on our arms and legs as we churned along happily. Long rides where the kilometers just flew by as we played with short attacks and mini breakaways. 

This was not that. 

We haven’t seen each other in shorts yet in 2018.  Our summer adventure should be warm.  I know I am thinking about that warm sunshine every day as I ride indoors or as I layer up for another wet ordeal.  
Like fun, only not quite fun
We find take solace that rainy and 9C is a lot better than rainy and 2C.  Yet my pale arms beg for sunshine.  Where art thou spring? 

No comments: