Doing it all the hard way...

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Just another brick in the wall


The band is just fantastic. 
That is really what I think. 
Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?
My alarm went off a tad earlier, and it felt like it.  I got moving and made coffee as usual. I was able to carry those extra minutes forward and arrive at, and later leave, work a bit earlier.  

Rushing home I changed from slacks and dress shoes into my team kit and road shoes.  I filled bottles and pumped my tires.  Sixty minutes from desk to clipping is pretty darn good. 

Soon I was headed for the bike trail as the roads can be scary during the evening commute.  My legs took some time to shift from nothing to pedaling.  I was glad to be riding outdoors.  I’ve spent more time on the trainer already in 2018 than I did in all of 2017.  Riding on a trainer indoors has a lot of similarities to dental work.  You only do it because the alternative is even worse.

I hit a short downhill and coasted for a few moments.  You can’t do that indoors!
Indoor riding sucks!
If I trusted any of the half dozen weather sites/apps I use with OCD regularity, Tuesday was the last dry day.  Five days of rain were coming, starting that night.  A mix of tempo and short intervals was on the agenda. 

As I hit the first hill I got out of the saddle and the climb felt easier than expected.  THAT was a nice surprise.   After multi hour rides Friday, Saturday and Sunday I expected my legs to be dead on this Tuesday evening.   I didn’t have the motivation required to be watching a stopwatch so I had decided to attack each uphill and then ride tempo in between.  The bike felt faster than usual and I just went with it.  I was going out and back and the kilometers were ticking by.  Soon I reached my turn around point and I still felt good. "Time to push even harder," I thought to myself.
I was flying that day!
On the way back my legs still felt refreshingly strong, but my quads were now starting to complain. The intervals hurt just enough to be enjoyable.  If you don’t understand what that means, you are dead to me. 

Daylight savings time means sunset was a tad before eight pm.  I got home in the light and by the time I cleaned myself and dropped my clothes in the washing machine I was starving. 

Another unremarkable ride.  I was glad I had felt good. It was another brick in the base.  It all counts.

No comments: