Doing it all the hard way...

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Embrace the grind

Coffee
I'll catch up later.  So much good.  So much sad. 

Yesterday I left for a bike ride that was supposed to be 2.5-3 hours.  The idea was to ride down to Carlton and back.  There was a strong wind blowing north to south and I was flying on the first part of the journey. 

I knew the return would be hard, but that was okay.  As I let the tailwind blow me south I spun and enjoyed the long awaited sunshine.  

When I turned around my pace slowed and my heart rate climbed. For reasons I can't figure out, there were yellow marmots off on both sides of the road scurrying around as if they had just been let out of school.  It provided a welcome distraction as I fought the headwind. 

I've been down this quiet road dozens of times and there are still things to see for the first time.  As my mind wandered my pace would slow and I had to concentrate to maintain a decent level of effort.  

I recalled hearing about a gravel race in horrid conditions where the winner finished with an average power output of 330 watts for five hours and an average speed of sixteen miles and hour. With that thought swirling in my head, I didn't feel so bad pushing into the headwind. 

As I climbed the hill approaching home, my legs felt the nearly three hours of riding in them. That was okay.  I love the process. I love the long miles, the sore quads, the sun on my back. In this time when people go to extreme lengths to avoid being uncomfortable, I embrace it.  I grow from it and it keeps me young.  At least, that is what I tell myself. 

No comments: