Doing it all the hard way...

Monday, April 27, 2020

Changing topics

Pancakes if I want them.
This is my blog, so rather than break the rules, I just change them.  I have babbled on, with seemingly endless self-indulgence, about all flavors of biking and so this transition may come as a total surprise.  Oh well.

Buckle up Evo fans.  You're going to be reading about some backpacking in the months to come.

A few years back when mortality slapped me in the face and I was forced to contemplate (and luckily avoid) lifestyle restrictions the activity that I most feared losing was backpacking.  I was shocked.  To put this in perspective, I had not been backpacking in ten years.  I still can't explain it, but I did go on a trip with my son the following summer and our plan is to go again this August.

Only reluctantly have I acknowledged that I am in my "Someday" phase of life and before too long that window will close and be replaced by regrets.  A few years back Hottie and I were riding and we joined a guy who was setting out to ride from Seattle to the east coast.  His wife had told him, "You better go now, you will soon be too old."  Welcome to my motivation.

I will share more details of that trip and why it is important to each of us as well as some background on how I got where I am.  

In the meantime, I will tease you with a few odd comments, think of these as scenes from our next episode(s). 


  • It started with a down jacket that didn't quite fit.  
  • Eighteen years from beginning to end.
  • I was called back.
  • Analog hiking
  • It all worked 

No comments: