Doing it all the hard way...

Monday, February 4, 2019

Goals


It had been a long time since I had utilized the well proven training technique known as “overcommit and panic.”  It is also referred to as “Do epic shit” or quite simply, “Sign up for something that scares you and train accordingly.”

After some internal debate I had a conversation with Hottie about a proposed event.  In that one minute conversation she used the word “stupid” four times. She was absolutely correct, it would be stupid.  Was that all bad?  Pretty soon I started to think it had been too long since I had been in over my head.

Without saying anything I began skipping snacks and altering my eating habits while I was building my Four P training program.  My Periodized, Polarized, Panic Powered Plan starts off modestly and builds volume early on and then increases intensity leading up to the June event.   I had another conversation with the ever patient Hottie.  With her permission/acknowledgement/reluctant consent I signed up.
Go ahead, make me a widow.....
That event is a five day gravel ride/race in Oregon.  It is called the Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder (OTGG) and is following the theme of the educational game “Oregon Trail.”  In that video game you either make it to Oregon, or die on route.  Now THAT is a theme I can embrace.

The event has injected focus into my day to day activities. Focus, in this case, might look and smell a bit like panic; but that is okay.  Regardless of what it is called, I feel it is giving some direction to a life that has become too comfortable and predictable.  With age comes wisdom so it only makes sense that doing stupid things will keep me young. 
Bring it on!
This decision to proceed against my better judgment has caused a bit of introspection.  Am I doing this because I am bored, or to feed my starving ego, or to prove something to myself? Perhaps I am seeking enlightenment that comes from the trail by fire?  Am I seeking penance for my countless sins?  I spent more than a few days wondering.

By coincidence I was listening to a conversation between two cyclists on the virtues of reaching the goal or just enjoying the journey.  One said they set the goals (events) then their training supports them.  The other said he just loves the training and then sprinkles in some events to punctuate the training.  I realized that I love the training when it is part of a plan that supports the goal (event).  Without the goal the training seems pointless. I like the process of doing the hard work then seeing it pay off. 
My son Tim and I on top of Mt. Whitney, August 2002
Yeah, he looks like me.
In recent years my training plans have not changed much year on year.  My numbers have been boringly consistent.  April of one year looks almost the same as April of the prior year.  Just as we do with politics and our individual beliefs, we listen and take in that which supports our existing perspectives and ignore everything that doesn’t easily fit. This is easy.  It keeps us in a rut. It keeps us from challenging ourselves and growing.

It was time for a change.  It was time to commit.

My plan is to jump with both feet on to the Polarized training bandwagon.  This means lots of saddle time doing what looks and smells like base miles.  My early season measuring stick is aerobic hours per week.

After years and years of blabbering on about working on my core I spent the month of November getting medical treatment for low back issues.  Core work is no longer optional.  It is an everyday thing now and I even rejoined the Y and have returned to workouts that clang (free weights and weight machines).  It has already made a profound difference.
Eating better, core work, cross training and stretching.  What were once good ideas are now mandatory.  The tradeoff is that for the first time in several months I don’t feel my age.  I did a ride of almost five hours over the weekend and the next day I felt…… awesome.   I had no idea how much of a difference a stronger core would make on endurance cycling.  

I will likely do a gravel event or two ahead of the OTGG in June.  I don’t think I will be alone.  2019 seems to be an aspirational year in the team peloton.  After a couple of quiet years, it seems the men in black and orange are pinning on numbers and turning back the clocks.

No comments: