Doing it all the hard way...

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Convergence; A long time coming


Hottie and I started skate skiing with a lesson many years ago.  Over the years, in addition to lots of skiing, we have taken more lessons together and separately.  At the end of one of those lessons my teacher gave me a tip to make notes of the takeaways from the lesson and to reread them the next time and every time before skiing.

Those tips seemed to be aimed at correcting my mistakes, and to my naked eye were scattered all over the board.  “Land on your little toe,” “Duck under the clothesline,” “Acute angle at the ankle,” “Vertical zipper,”

My technique was to work on what I perceived to be my biggest weakness at any given time.  Sometimes it was “Flat ski,” other times it was “Hold the watermelon.” 

Hottie pounced on Cramps like a cheetah and asked for some pointers for going downhill.  Cramps went into teacher mode (his profession as well) and shared his knowledge.   After Hottie turned around Cramps and I continued on and he offered me a tip that I soaked in like a sponge.

When we caught up to McWoodie and B-Ryan, Cramps shared more insights.   The last hour and half of our ski could be categorized as a fast moving lesson.  
McWoodie, Evo and KB makes three
The miracle (for me) was that during that lesson from Cramps all of the tidbits from prior lessons that seemed independent all suddenly converged.  The “Bobbing” motion that I thought was for the push off turned out to be the same motion for stronger poling with less effort required from my arms.  The “Crunches” made skiing both faster and easier.

Suddenly the “C-shape Crunches,” “Bobbing,” “Ankle Angle,” “Drive the knee,” “Holding the watermelon,” and “Dinner Party” were part of the same fluid motion.  Doing the whole motion correctly checked all the boxes.  I focused on my own movement and tried to drill the smooth motion into muscle memory. 

The next day McWoodie and I returned to the same trail and spent two hours trying to transform what was an experience into a habit.

No comments: