Doing it all the hard way...

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Old man winter


Wisdom says to live in the moment and enjoy where we are.  I've spent so much of my life trying to fast forward and get to the next thing, at the expense of the present.  Being outside more than most, I am aware the days are now getting ever so slightly longer.  I walk and run and ski and ride, pushing forward, enjoying the now and looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.  

Yet, there are times when the nights seem endless and, rarely, days that I never feel warm.  The draft from an open door chills my soul.  I touch cold metal and an icy shiver pierces me. 

I am savoring the winter and squeezing all I can from it. I am blessed. I know that. Now and then, when no one is looking, I close my eyes and imagine running or riding on a summer's day with bare arms, my shirt open, sweat on my chest.  

That day will come.  Just not yet. They refer to winter as an old man.  An old man that doesn't care, that has gotten where he is, just by momentum, by pushing for so long that time finally yielded. Winter is that way, simply the accumulation of so many cold days and nights.  No flash, no bang, just cold and water and time. 

No comments: