Doing it all the hard way...

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Racing again


My performance wasn't one of my best today
It had been too long since I had pinned a number on and jumped into the pain cave without a rope.  After prodding my fellow thug into joining me, I got excited and signed up.  

I arrived early.  That is how I roll these days.  Rich had the tent up and I appreciate that.  Soon I was on a warm up lap.  In order to make things harder I was riding the Curto in single speed configuration.  

The course was fast and flat and I opted to go for a harder gear so I pulled the mini tool from my pocket, made the adjustment and rolled on.  Over some bumps and my chain came off.  The singleator spring had come out of its hole and wouldn't put any tension on the floppy chain.  

I had about a half an hour and ran to the car and grabbled a wrench and pliers and bent the spring back (mostly).  It would almost work.

I put in a quarter lap just to make sure things were not falling off.  I rolled to the starting grid knowing my bike was less than stellar.

Soon I was racing and it felt good. It is amazing how bumby grass can be when you're racing.  I started in the back and held my position.  As the laps ticked off, I had to finesse the chain more than I wanted and my rear tire was my second choice and it lost some air as the race went on.  Still I was having fun.  

My legs, lungs, heart and head all got what they deserved.   

After the race I wasn't as blown as I should have been.  I don't know how much was the bike and how much was my fear of pushing it, but I know I can beat some of the guys that beat me today.   

I'll be back.

No comments: