Doing it all the hard way...

Monday, February 19, 2018

Less than zero

The best way to be fit is not let yourself get unfit.  I apologize for how this makes a hard thing sound simple.  It is rough when you have to rebuild your fitness.  As much as I might lament starting with less-than-stellar form it is better than starting from zero.  Sadly, as difficult as it is starting from zero, there are times when just getting to zero is the goal. 
Hottie had a string of injuries that set her back so far she had to patiently train just to get strong enough to start training.  If that sounds like an exaggeration, it is not.  One of my good friends is anxious to lay down some training miles in preparation for this summer but he can’t even touch a bike at this time.  He would be delighted if he could start from zero right now.
There may be a time when I lower my ultimate objectives to better align with a lower starting point; however, now is not that time. I am willing to accept that a lower starting point just makes the journey longer.   What matters perhaps more than the destination, is the satisfaction that comes from the journey itself.  Many of us have long journeys so you had better enjoy the ride.
Fuck it. I'm going for it!

For those around me who are fighting to get to zero, my heart goes out to you.  Don’t give up.  For the many who are always working to get better; keep up the good fight.  Take solace in the process now, and find joy in the results later.

No comments: