Doing it all the hard way...

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Like taking a bath, except a lot harder

I was reminded of a story that was either in the Bible or in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It may have even been in both.  Anyway; apparently there is this filthy dude who asks how he can get clean.  He is told to go and wash seven times in the river Jordan. It sounds too simple so he initially blows it off.  Then after someone reminds him of Rule # 5 he does as instructed and comes out clean.  I may have my details slightly skewed, but that is the basic premise.
I'm talking about how easily Dura Ace shifts, and you're looking at ants.
Why the disrespect dude?

As I grew soft during late summer and fall, I kept searching for some magical formula.  There was no magic. There is, however, a formula.  It is simple, yet hard to follow.

Put in the work.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.  Put in the work.
Hottie putting in the work!

Ride far. 
Ride fast. 
Ride hard. 
Then rest.  
Put in the work.

There is a rare sensation that happens on the bike when you apply force and it feels like the bike is accelerating ahead and out from under you. It is generally brought on by a change in the bike.  A significantly lighter bike or a stiffer crankset and frame will seemingly translate all of that downward pedal pressure into forward momentum.   It is a thrill and one can’t help but smile.

I had that sensation the other day on my same bike.  
I can only conclude my legs were stronger.  Yes, I smiled.

No comments: