Doing it all the hard way...

Monday, November 27, 2017

Paying Dues

A careful scrutiny of this blog and my STRAVA account would reveal that as summer yielded to fall my fitness, such as it was, waned. At the same time I managed to find a few kilos that had been lost for a couple years. I resolved to shut up and get back to work. I am pleased to report that those kilos are in search of a new owner and my fitness is at an appropriate level for December.

After avoiding the pain cave for so long I am reacquainting myself with the price of success.  It is contrary to most of my 2017 to have my body tell me something is hard and not back off.  Each hard effort does make the next one significantly easier. I am no longer a young man so as I increased my hard efforts I made a corresponding increase to my recovery.  The result has been a cumulative upswing in my work load and, more importantly, my ability to handle that work load.

It would be a mistake to imply this was as simple as making a decision or flipping a switch.  It was a conscience choice, but it has been more than uncomfortable at times. Hard work is hard.  Hard work sometimes feels like I am wasting my time.  It takes faith to put in the hard work now and not see instant results.  The results do come though not as fast as they used to.
To find success we must pay our dues.  
As we age the dues only increase.
Rule 5

No comments: