Doing it all the hard way...

Monday, June 30, 2014

Don’t worry, I won’t let you down

We had two of our grandkids at the cabin for a few days recently.  We all had a great time. It has been a long time since I had to answer questions about hot lava and the probability of monster encounters.

I was reminded of what a star Hottie is as she spent a big chunk of time teaching Russell to swim in addition to fielding her share of “Grandma, why..?” questions.  It was also amazing how many things get sticky with kids around.  Tux was very attentive and spent extended periods of time with his nose under the picnic table waiting for bits of food to come cascading to the ground.
Kyson  is still mastering using a toilet for its intended purpose and had the quote of the trip.  While he was perched on his throne of big boy-hood I told him I needed to step away to check the stove. I told him to keep pooping.  He responded with unfettered enthusiasm, “Don’t worry Grandpa,, I won’t let your down!”  I have no idea how that phrase enters the head of a three year old, but I was able to suppress a laugh as I checked the stove.
We swam in a community pool, ate scones and ice cream (but not at the same time) made s’mores in the evening and did some “work” by moving rocks outside the cabin.   They saw deer, eagles, hawks and other wildlife.  Their days were full and they slept long and hard.

We have more than a little cleaning to do the next time we get to the cabin, but experiences like this are the reason we got the place.

No comments: